What’s that you say? You’ve never heard of International Masturbation Month? Well, I don’t really blame you. Although solo sexual pleasure has been around since the dawn of time, it’s not exactly something we talk about around the dinner table. So why are people around the world celebrating it this May?
International Masturbation Month goes back to the early 90s when Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders was fired by then US President Bill Clinton over her comments about masturbation. Elders didn’t see the problem with talking about and teaching masturbation in schools as a way to prevent teens from experimenting with riskier behaviours. “I think it is a part of human sexuality and perhaps should be taught,” she said. A small group of sex-positive thinkers created “National Masturbation Day” in 1995 to protest her termination and it has since flourished into a whole month (and has even crossed international waters!)
Masturbation used to be considered a “dirty little secret”. We weren’t supposed to talk about it and we definitely weren’t supposed to do it. But now the secret is out! International Masturbation Month is here to smash stereotypes and let you know that masturbation is fun, normal and can actually benefit your health.
According to health professionals, masturbating can lead to a better night’s sleep and lowered stress levels. Feel good hormones like oxytocin are released during orgasm that can improve mood and outlook. On top of that, getting your heart rate up and your blood pumping is great for a healthy heart. Sure, this can all be achieved by a little sexy playtime with a partner, but masturbation is the only form of sexual fun with absolutely zero chance of pregnancy or STD transmission (hence why learning about it in schools wouldn’t be so bad).
If you’re still not sold, masturbation can actually lead to better sex with your partner. By exploring and getting comfortable with your own body, you’re more likely to know what you like and the ways that your partner can really get you over the edge.
Honey Gifts has put together a curated list of our favourite solo toys, all perfect for celebrating International Masturbation Month.
- Pink Lady Stamina Training Fleshlight: There’s a reason Fleshlight is one of the world’s bestselling male masturbators. With a super soft and realistic opening, this enticing toy is designed not only for pleasure but to help you last longer in bed. Honey carries a range of other Fleshlight products, each with a different and exciting inner texture.
- Pulse III Solo Hot Octopuss Male Masturbator: This unique toy fits comfortably around the penis (even without an erection) and utilizes high-amplitude oscillations to deliver intense stimulation. It’s even 100% waterproof so you can enjoy in the bath or shower.
- Tenga Eggs: Available in a variety of textures, these discreet, travel-size masturbation sleeves are perfect for some on-the-go pleasure. Simply pop open the egg, add the included lubricant and stretch the textured sleeve over the penis. Either dispose of your Tenga Egg when you’re finished or gently wash and re-use (how’s that for environmentally friendly?)
- Sensuelle Rechargeable Prostate Vibrator: This innovative vibrator uses state of the art technology for a uniquely satisfying prostate massage. Perfectly curved to stimulate the sensitive prostate, this toy also features a special massage ball located under the textured tip for another level of breathtaking pleasure.
- Rechargeable Magic Wand: The ultimate toy for toe-curling, mind-blowing ecstasy! The Magic Wand is considered one of the world’s most powerful toys, hitting 6,300rpm at the highest setting. The soft silicone head is perfectly sized to stimulate not only the clitoris but the whole area with vibration. The Rechargeable Magic Wand has multiple intensity and pattern settings and can be used with or without the included charging cord.
- Fun Factory Bi Stronic Fusion Pulsator: A vibrating, pulsing, thrusting dream. This deliciously pleasing toy from Fun Factory is uniquely versatile, featuring an external vibrating clitoral arm and an internal thrusting shaft. You can pick and choose your favourite settings and with a choice of 64 possible combinations, you’ll have a new favourite every day.
- Tokidoki Petal Vibe: This super cute remote control operated bullet may look innocent with its one-of-a-kind Tokidoki design, but there’s something very naughty waiting inside. Surprisingly powerful, the Tokidoki Petal Vibe’s outer silicone casing can be used externally for broad stimulation or remove the bullet for intense internal pleasure.
- Sizzling Simon E-Stim Vibrator: Want rumbly, powerful vibrations with a little something extra? Sizzling Simon is a toy that aims to tease and please with not only powerful vibration settings but an electro stimulation function as well. E-Stim involves stimulating the nerves with a low voltage current of electricity, leaving your skin tingling and pulsing in all the right ways. If you haven’t heard of E-Stim, you’ll be pleased to know Honey’s Pillow Talk Blog has a whole post on the subject.